TEN CHARACTERISTICS OF APOCALYPTIC LITERATURE
1. DUALISM: The good and evil, the light and darkness, and the bliss and woe.
2. TWO WORLDS: The spiritual and physical, and life on earth and life in the eternal worlds.
3. DISPENSATIONS: Apocalyptic literature is given in regard to a particular time, or prophet of a given
4. MESSIAH: The coming of the Messiah is prophesied. First and/or Second Coming
5. HISTORICAL REALITIES: The prophet writing or speaking has a time and place in history.
6. MILLENNIUM: The millennial reign of peace is prophesied, a time when "the earth shall rest from her labors."
7. MORAL TEACHINGS: Revelations concerning man's relationship with his God and fellow man.
8. ATTITUDE TOWARD THE SACRED: The Temple and its ordinances, and instructions to the "elect."
9. NATURE OF MAN: Where did we come from? Why is man here on the earth? What lies beyond death?
10. UPHEAVALS OF NATURE: The judgments of God upon man.